Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Now Open


Chipotle Mexican Grill officially opened its doors today in Tyler. You can find it on S. Broadway in front of the mall in the corner of the Sears parking lot. I guess they finally decided that since no one shops at Sears, they don't need a parking lot.
(I was expecting the line to be longer)

After years of rumors and what seemed like endless months of construction we now have our very own burrito subway. I know I know some of you Tylerites out there are thinking, "well what about Salsaritia's"? Let me start off by saying I appreciate that Salsarita's came in and filled a need in our town left by Frisco's (Where Daniel Boone's is now) almost 10 years ago. If you were craving a burrito wrapped in foil that you could eat with your hands Salsarita's was the only place in town. Now I have eaten at quite a few of these similar make you own burrito establishments in the past few years and with out a doubt Salsarita's is the worst. Management was terrible, the food was sub par at best and the menu was scattered with off the wall items such as pizza that I was too annoyed with to try. If you picked up on my past tense verbiage it was no mistake, it's just my general feeling that with the opening of Chipotle it won't be long before we see Salsarita's close up shop.

If you have never been to a Chipotle, which I was surprised to learn that one of my co-workers had not, you really need to go check it out. Get on there website, read their story, and appreciate their commitment to bringing you organic and locally grown food in an up scale fast food setting. Up scale fast food sounds kind of funny but I don't know how else to describe it. The food is outstanding and the atmosphere is more trendy than some of your traditional sit down restaurants, but you get your food FAST. They really have the whole ordering process down to a science assigning a single task to each employee and passing your order down the assembly line.


(only 10 minutes later from starting in the parking lot and it's my time to order)

(I went with the Babacoa with brown rice, grilled onions and peppers, corn salsa, pico, cheese and lettuce)

Chipotle also offers tacos, burrito bowls, and salads and I hear has some pretty darn good guacamole. I would tell you but come to find out I'm pretty allergic to the green stuff so I have to stay away.

If you live in East Texas be sure to check out Chipotle and don't be scared of the long lines. If they are already this fast on opening day just think how quick they will be once they get the hang of things. Be sure to leave a comment and let me know of any new restaurant rumors you have heard lately.

2 comments:

  1. As Camryn used to say 'so fun' - maybe Dad'll take me there for lunch. We didn't eat well in Houston...I heard that we will be getting a Five Guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of our best friends in London are with Chipolte. He's opening restaurants in London and Paris currently. We eat at the one in London a lot! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete